There was a time when I thought my phone was safe from hacking and viruses and other bad things, but no more. Our phones are essentially mini computers and they’re just as susceptible as our computers now. Webroot has just released their solution for Android which seems like it should work well.
Webroot, the first Internet security service company, today announced a new mobile security application designed to protect Android™ smartphone and tablet users. Now available at Best Buy stores in the United States, Webroot® Mobile Security for Android makes it easy for users to stay protected as they browse, text, and download apps on Android devices. A basic version, offering more limited features, is also available for free on the Android Market.
Webroot Mobile Security for Android leverages Webroot’s anti-malware and cloud-based and URL scanning technologies to block threats and assess the safety of website links before a user clicks on them. Webroot Mobile Security for Android includes multiple features to protect a user’s personal information if the device is lost or compromised. Unlike other applications on the market, it also automatically checks device settings to ensure they are secure.
"We believe in protecting you as an individual, not just the device you use to connect to the Internet," said Quinn Curtis, vice president of mobile solutions for Webroot. "With smartphones and tablets, we carry around vast amounts of personal data including our contacts, emails, passwords, and even financial information. This data is targeted by cybercriminals through malware, online scams, and device theft, and the market success of the Android mobile operating system provides the scale they need to make those attacks profitable. Webroot now can mitigate risks to Android users from malware, malicious websites, and personal information loss as they add smartphones and tablets as an extension of their daily lives."
Key Features of Webroot Mobile Security for Android:
Protects your identity and personal information if your mobile device is lost or stolen
- Remotely locks your mobile device so it can’t be used by anyone but you
- Remotely wipes your contacts, text messages, and other personal information
- Sends a temporary access code to a trusted friend in case you forget your password
- Sends you a map showing exactly where your device is located
- Sounds a loud alert to help you locate your phone or tablet nearby
Blocks mobile threats before they can infect your mobile device, without affecting performance
- Scans apps before they are installed to ensure they are safe
- Scans web links and URLs to block phishing and other harmful content before you connect
- Runs quietly in the background and requires no prompting or interaction from you
- Checks for security updates every day to ensure you have the latest protection
- Will not slow down your device or mobile browser
- Light on memory and battery usage
Automatically safeguards your privacy
- Blocks unwanted calls and text messages
- Scans your device to ensure key settings are secure
- Informs you which apps have access to your personal information
An annual subscription for Webroot Mobile Security for Android also includes free 24/7 customer support.
Webroot Mobile Security for Android is initially available exclusively at Best Buy retail stores in the United States. A basic version, offering more limited features, is also available for free on the Android Market.
Later this year, Webroot will introduce mobile security applications for additional platforms.
Read the Webroot Threat Blog: http://blog.webroot.com.
Follow Webroot on Twitter: http://twitter.com/webroot.
Web Site: http://www.webroot.com